Monday, March 30, 2009

While I'm Waiting...

I have been getting lots of inquiries about where things stand now with the adoption, and I'll be honest that we're getting antsy for it to happen! Some days are harder than others. And as we are going to very shortly reach the milestone of being on the waiting list for 6 months, it is kinda hard. I have to concentrate on the here and the now, and trust that everything is being worked out. I know that God is in control of everything, and that is a huge comfort, but I just sometimes want a status update from him if you know what I mean! I have complete confidence in the adoption agency we are using, and this waiting is totally normal and to be expected. I chose this agency without knowing that the person who heads up the Ethiopia program is someone I used to work with in New York when I was in grad school! The agency is in Texas. So out of all of the agencies in this whole massive country, I unknowingly chose the one that an old friend works at and she is in charge of my program. That is so clearly not a coincidence! She moved to Texas without a job because she felt like God wanted her to, and now she gets to coordinate the bringing together of forever families. She really is being used by God and she said it is so humbling. I think that is the coolest thing! The other amazing thing is that when we knew each other we both weren't serious about our faith. So we are both changed, and now are brought back together. I love how personal God is and keeps tabs on the all the details of our lives. It is pretty mind-blowing!

The furniture is now in Jonas' room which is a relief! Lucy now has a really nice bedroom set as she got the antique bed and dressers that were in Jonas' room. My girlfriends were over and helped me arrange the furniture in Jonas' room (GIRL POWER!) and so now I just need to buy bedding for the full bed that is in his room. Once we get matched with a child and know his age/size, then I will start amassing clothes from my sister and whoever else wants to give us hand-me-downs.

In about 3 weeks we will be going to Disney for a few days as David has a conference there. Lucy is soooooo excited and I am too. She is going to absolutely love it! Our friends/neighbors/might as well be family the Chismars' have given us so much awesome advice about Disney so we will be prepared to make the most of our time there. David will be in a conference for two days so those two days will be Mommy and Lucy days which will be fun. She is just so much fun now and has such a VIBRANT imagination it is unbelievable. She is like mommy in that she likes to play by herself a lot of the time. She does like being around people, but I think she needs some alone time as well. It will be an adjustment when her brother comes home as she will always have a playmate, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. That reminds me that I need to order the book Siblings Without Rivalry. Someone I trust recommended it to me and her girls really work well together and love each other so will have to take a look (for any BWers on here, Deb in Oz recommended the book).

I keep a brown paper lunch bag on my desk and it is labeled "Lucy-isms" and when she says something funny or cute I jot it down on a piece of paper and toss it into the bag. I note the date on each note too. So I thought it might be fun to share some of my favorite "Lucy-isms" from recent months as spending time with her and just enjoying her is what I have been striving to do while I am waiting:

- I told Lucy that my foot had fallen asleep. She looked at my foot and yelled, "Wake up foot!"
- Lucy to Mommy: "You're a good friend of mine Mama."
- Lucy: "I am growing fast like flower. If I eat all my lunch then I'll be 6!"
- Lucy: "Princesses do pink poo poos. Sparkley pink poo poos."
- Lucy: "Daddy is my prince." Mommy: "But I love him. Can I marry him?" Lucy: "No. I had him first."
- Lucy's prayer: "Thank you God for this food. Thank you God for Tuscora Park. Thank you God formy friends. Thank you God for everything."
- Lucy also often says, "Oh no! We forgot one teeny tiny detail!" We have no idea where she got that from but it's cute!

One last thing I want to share and it is a song that has touched my heart in recent weeks as I wait. It is called (you guessed it) While I'm Waiting and it really speaks to me about having faith in God while you wait. It is from the movie "Fireproof" which we haven't seen yet, but when I heard the song it seemed so relevant to this waiting I am doing for my son. Evidently someone else thought the same thing and made a little video on youtube with the words and music. Here is the link in case you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWI-iZsIKIk&feature=related

Thanks so much for reading and for supporting us. I will keep you posted about developments as they arise!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Hey Melissa~Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers during this waiting time! That can sometimes be the hardest and most challenging part! We just watched fireproof this past weekend w/ our SG. I love the song as well!!! Cute idea w/ the brown bag :) "teeny tiny detail" how cute, she's such a girly girl and so BEAUTIFUL! I wish I would have thought of that sooner. Chase's latest saying "I never have and I never will" can be cute depending on what your asking him to do. :)